Friday, August 26, 2011

My Favorite Comedies From Each of The Last Ten Decades

1910’s- The Champion: In a decade dominated by Charlie Chaplin, I had to pick one of his movies. The Champion may not be one of his more well known films, but it’s a classic none the less. Chaplin, with the help of a lucky horseshoe, becomes a successful boxer, and while dealing with gamblers who want him to throw his fights, he falls in love. It is typical Chaplin, fun and imaginative.

1920’s- Sherlock Jr.: Some of the greatest comedies in film history were made during the 20’s; it’s when Chaplin started to hit his stride with The Kid and Buster Keaton emerged as a comedy genius. My favorite film of his is Sherlock Jr. There are a lot of people who don’t enjoy silent movies (especially kids from my generation), but there is something about Keaton and Chaplin films that just seem to last. The fun that they have in their movies and their understanding of plot, drama, romance, and comedy make their films extremely enjoyable. In Sherlock Jr., Keaton plays a film projectionist with aspirations to be a detective like Sherlock Holmes. He is in love with a girl who has another suitor, and when he is falsely accused of a crime by her family, his detective side comes out. An endearing film with a lot of heart and a lot of laughs.

1930’s- Duck Soup : Tough, tough, tough, but to me this is the best of the Marx Brothers, and that’s saying something. With Groucho at the helm, the Marx Bros. pumped out hit after hit for more then a decade. With their mixture of slapstick comedy, romance, and music, they were a constant in an era when the film industry when transitioning into “talkies.”

1940’s- The Philadelphia Story: Katherine Hepburn, Jimmy Stewart, and Cary Grant, I almost feel like I don’t need to say anything else. However, if there is one movie on this list that you have to see, I’m going to have to say it’s this one. A wonderful film centering around the love triangle of the three stars. It’s quirky and very smart, with amazing performance from all three stars.

1950’s- Harvey: James Stewart once again. Now I know that Some Like It Hot came out in this decade and it may be the greatest comedy of all-time, but to me the movie Harvey is just as brilliant. Stewart plays a drunk, not a mean drunk, but a friendly drunk, or at least the people in his town put up with his antics. But when he claims that he can see a “pooka” in the form of a bunny rabbit, people begin to second guess Stewart. It is an odd film, with some sad moments, but the comedy is very strong and heartwarming.

1960’s- The Producers: I am not sure how I came to this decision, but being one of the biggest Mel Brooks fans, I had to put his comedy classic on my list. The 60’s however, may be the greatest comedic decade of all time. From Dr. Strangelove, to The Graduate, to The Apartment, to My Fair Lady, the 60’s were a joyous time. For me though, The Producers is a film that I can watch at anytime and laugh from beginning to end. With Zero Mostel and Gene Wilder playing two producers trying to scam their way into a boat load of money, The Producers has some of the greatest moments in comedy history.

1970’s- Manhattan: I really wanted to pick Blazing Saddles, but I went with my heart and chose a film that may not be the funniest movie, but boy if it isn’t one of the best movies ever made. Woody Allen is a huge influence on me and his dialogue and humor are so unique. I remember the first time I saw this movie, I had recently just watched Annie Hall, and I didn’t think it could get much better then that, but I was wrong. Manhattan to me, is Allen’s masterpiece. The use of black and white in the film works perfectly and even enhances the beauty. The shots of New York are outstanding and show Allen’s true love for the city. It is one of my all-time favorites, without a doubt.

1980’s- Trading Places: Eddie Murphy dominated the 80’s and although there may be better movies, Trading Places so fuckin funny. A twist on the Prince and the Pauper scenario, done with a funny twist. Murphy is excellent and Dan Aykroyd does a good job as well. Let me say also that Jaime Lee Curtis is smokin in this film, she gives two reasons to see the movie, that’s for sure.

1990’s- Dazed and Confused: Once again, this was nearly impossible, but I had to go with Dazed and Confused. Maybe the best movie about life in high school ever made and definitely one of the best movies made bout the 70’s. Drugs, sex, alcohol, fast, cars, and beautiful girls, Dazed and Confused has it all. Like American Graffiti, just the drugged out version. I watched the movie every last day of high school, the soundtrack is ridiculous, there are spot on performances, notably Matthew McConaughey’s Wooderson, it’s like being transported back in time.

2000’s- Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang: I think this may be one of the most underrated movies of the past decade. Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang is one of those movies where you just can’t stop smiling while you’re watching it. An ingenious storyline, that follows a crappy bank robber (played by Robert Downey Jr.) who in the midst of a robbery gone wrong gets cast for a movie. We follow him to California where he gets caught up in a murder mystery, while studying his role. It’s amazing. Val Kilmer in maybe his best role ever, plays a detective named Gay Perry, genius. There are no bad parts, it’s the kind of story that I hope to one day write. Something new, fresh, and entertaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment